This wonderful dip happened by total accident when I didn’t have enough ingredients for hummus and decided to create something instead that was cheesy yet vegan, creamy yet healthy and go nicely with drinks. The nutritional yeast gives the cheesy taste and the mixture of yogurt and cashews really makes this a delicious dip for any occasion, lunch box or movie night in with crackers & crisps. It really reminds me of Tayto Cheese & Onion crisps that we have in Ireland.
Cashew Cheese & Onion Dip
100g Cashew nuts (simmered for 5-10 minutes till soft)
1 125g Carton of Soya natural yogurt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion salt
2 Spring onions (finely chopped)
6 tbsp Nutritional Yeast flakes (heaped spoons!)
1 tbsp Olive oil
Dash of water (as needed to mix)
Salt & pepper to season [/recipe ingredients]
1. Pop the cashews in some water and put on to simmer while you measure out the other ingredients.
2. Finely slice the spring onions and put to one side as you will need them near the end.
3. Once the cashews are slightly softened, strain and pop in to your processor. Blitz for about a minute or two until they are broken down. You can add a dash of water to help this along (but only a little).
4. Once the cashews are broken down (like a crumb or paste) add in the remaining ingredients except the spring onions and whiz up to a creamy texture. Add a little water if it seems to thick. should take about 2-3 minutes.
5. Once its creamy add in the spring onions and give it a 30 second blitz. till smooth.
6. Serve garnished with chopped coriander spring onions or chives. ENJOY!!