Antipasto is a traditional Italian starter served before a formal meal which includes all kinds of absolute delights on a large platter from olives, artichokes, Italian meats to cheeses as well fresh bread, crackers and olive oil. So sometimes the idea of doing it at home for one can be a little off-putting. But it really shouldn’t be as it is simple, quick and so tasty to do either for 1 or 10 people. Not only that but there is zero cooking involved. It’s more about placing things on a plate so they look colourful with a combination of textures colour and flavour. It’s also really good for having a plant-based brunch as they are quite filling. So taking the essence of an Antipasto here is my mixed plate for 1, which I make when I’m on my own and only need to cater for myself. The only items actually cooked are the herb toasts and the garlic mushrooms., which are optional. Having a stash of antipasti jars such as roasted papers in oil, olives, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, aubergines and so on, is so handy to throw this together. I also add humus and even chunky homemade guacamole along with fresh cucumber to mine depending on what I have in the cupboard and fridge.
- 2 slices of white bread (herb taosts)
- 3-4 tbls olive oil
- half teaspoon of dried, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley,
- 4 large chestnut mushrooms cleaned and qurtered
- 25g butter
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Quarter of cucumber, washed, chopped in quarters, skin on
- tbsp capers, (from a jar)
- 2 – 3 tbsp hummus in a small bowl for serving
- 3 – 4 heaped tbsp guacamole or a bowl on the side for serving
- 3 roasted peppper slices (rom a jar
- 4 roasted artichocke quarters (from a jar)
- 3 sundried tomatoes (from a jar)
- Preheat an oven at 210C. Pour the oil and herbs onto a plate and soake the bread on each side. wiping up all the oil and herbs, Quarter the bread, pop in the oven until golden. About 5-8 minutes. It will be crunchy.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, warm the butter, add the mushrooms and the garlic and keep tossing until fully cooked and golden. It takes about 5 minutes or so.
- If you wish to make my quick chunky guachamole over a a shop bought one, here it is. 1 avocado chopped, 1 large plum tomato chopped, quarter teaspoon garlic and onion salt, juice of half a lime, half a chilli chopped and tablespoon olive oil. Mix in a bowl and serve!
- Place all the ingredients on either a platter or a plate, pour a nice beverage and enjoy!
- You can add cheese, cold meats crackers, even grapes and figs to this kind of plate. Its about having lots of different flavours. However I find this mix works really well in the hot weather. Its filling but not a heavy meal.