For a light lunch or as part of a sharing plate style meal stuffed tomatoes are an easy and tasty addition. Although they might seem a bit 70’s they have stood the test of time. Anything that can be stuffed and mixed up to your personal taste is always a good thing to have in your black book of go to recipes. In this recipe below I have used a medium vine tomatoes here. However you can use any kind you like. Beefsteak tomatoes are great as they are sturdy, when roasting. If I is was having stuffed tomatoes as a starter, I would probably use this variety. But as a sharing plate, the vine are fine. When you take out the pulp don’t throw it away. Use it to add into tomatoe sauces.
- 4 medium vine tomatoes
- 1 chestnut mushroom finely diced
- 4 slices pepperoni or chorizo, finely chopped
- half a garlic clove, crushed
- 1 sprint onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1tsp rice per tomato
- 1 tbsp grated mozzarella (choose what you like)
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch dried oregano
- Slice the top off each tomato, keeping it for later and use a teaspoon to remove the pulp. Lightly spray or brush the tomatoes with oil. season the inside with a little salt and pepper. Prepare all the other ingredients and pop a small saucepan of water on to boil for the rice.
- Put the rice onto cook until al dente. With such a small amount of rice, this will only take a couple of minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat fry the garlic, spring onion, chorizo and mushroom for about 4-5 minutes. stirring all the time. You do not want the garlic to burn. It will finish cooking in the oven anyway so be cautious. You can add the garlic for the last few seconds if you prefer.
- Transfer the contents of the pan, and the rice into a bowl along with half the cheese, the cayenne pepper, oregano a pinch of salt and pepper as well as half the panko. Gently mix it together.
- Fill the tomatoes with the mixture to the top and sprinkle with the remaining panko and cheese. Replace the lid (the top slice you removed earlier)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes.