This is a rub that has a kick to it but isn’t overly spicy. I came up with it for a pulled pork recipe I was creating for a summer photoshoot. The entire shoot recipes will be live by next week. The sauce went up on Monday so now is the next part. I’m building this feast up in stages so that it’s all ready for when those gatherings and BBQs can kick off again as restrictions begin to lift here in Europe. I love this on pork belly, pork shoulder or even back ribs, accompanying it with a sweeter bbq sauce just to get a nice contrast of sweet and spicy.
- ½ tsp fennel seeds – ground with pestle and mortar
- ¼ tsp aniseed, ground with pestle and mortar
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1½ heaped tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tsp sweet paprika
- 1tsp Chinese 5 spice
- ½ tsp salt & ¼ black pepper to season
- big pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger
- Crush the fennel and aniseed in a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder. Then just mix all the other ingredients in and leave to infuse together until you are ready to use. Store in an airtight container sterilized mason or jam jar.