I made this recently to go with a Mexican dish I was trying out as a toping and its become a house favourite now, topping everything from burgers, sandwiches, salads and wraps. It lasts really well too in an airtight container or a mason jar which is great. You can of course use stronger chillies if you wish, and vary the type of onion.
- 1 cup vinegar (ideally white)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar ( white or brown)
- A good pinch of salt.
- 2 onions (ideally red or brown)
- 1 long red chilli (Cayenne or Calabrian Italian.)
- Sterilized jar, or container if making in advance or a bowl for same day.
- Finely slice the onions length ways or in a half circle.
- Deseed the chilli. (to do this I roll it on the counter under my fingers to loosen the seeds inside. Pop off the stem top and the seeds will fall out. Then cut length ways, then along the middle length ways and finely slice.
- In your container, mix the vinegar, salt and sugar until dissolved.
- Pop the chilli and onion into the liquid.
- Leave to soak overnight, or at least 2 hours until your ready to serve.
- Don’t forget as its pickling it will keep in an airtight sterilized container. I just keep topping up the liquid with onions once I’ve eaten the initial portions.