Easy Slow Cooked Vegan Chilli
- 1 x 400g tin fagioli barlotti beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 fresh red chilli seeds out ( 2 if you like it hot, seeds in)
- 1 bunch of scallions or 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g (6 tablespoons) tomato paste (Kunserva in Malta)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons of soya sauce or tamari
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- half teaspoon normal paprika
- 1 teaspoons of tobasco sauce
- 1 red or yellow pepper finely chopped
- half teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 10g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of sweetner (honey, maple or brown sugar)
- Juice of half a lime ( use a whole one if you like limes)
- Put your slow cooker on high to heat it up. Get a large bowl and as you go through the ingredients list add it to the bowl. Rinsing, draining, chopping, spooning ingredients as above.
- Once everything is in the bowl give it a good mix up. Then transfer it to the slow cooker. If your using a saucepan, just put it all in the sauce pan.
- Leave in the slow cooker on high for about 30 minutes then turn down to low and let it simmer & infuse, till your ready to eat it. In about two hours it will be done, but I have left mine on warm for longer. Giving it the odd stir. low & slow is the trick.
- If doing this in a saucepan, bring it to the boil, then reduce to a really low heat for about 30 minutes. Just reheat when you want to serve. Make sure to give it a few good stirs.
- I serve this with crusty bread, nachos, a dollop of sour cream and on rice. It’s up to you. For a party normally I would do small bowls with pitta breads for dipping. For a supper its left in the middle of the table and people help themselves with big bowls of nachos, guach, sour cream and breads scattered around the table.
- This is even better the next day. So its perfect for a gathering of friends or family to prep a day or two in advance And it also freezes really well. Enjoy!